FIFA said on Monday it had withdrawn the 2023 under-17 World Cup from Peru
“given the inability of the host country to fulfil its commitments to completing the
The governing body of world football said the 24-team competition would still be
staged on the planned dates, November 10-December 2 and it “will now designate a
new host in due course”.
The biennial competition was due to be held in Peru in 2021 but was cancelled
because of the Covid pandemic. Brazil won as hosts in 2019.
Last week, FIFA withdrew the Under-20 World Cup, scheduled for May 20-June 11,
from Indonesia because the governors of two of the country’s provinces wanted to
ban Israel, which had qualified for the first time.